Annunciazione di Beato Angelico

The Diocesano Museum in Cortona

The Diocesano Museum in Cortona has nine rooms and contains art dating from the second century to modern art from this century.

The Diocesano Museum in Cortona is opposite the town’s cathedral. It has nine rooms and contains art dating from the second century to modern art from this century. Most of the works of art come from local churches and are held in the museum for conservation and safe keeping. In order to get the most out of the collection, visitors must imagine how the works of art would appear in the churches where they originally hung. A sign near the entrance to the museum explains the layout and contents of the nine rooms. Here is a brief description of the main works on display in the museum:

Room 1: Second century sarcophagus
Room 2: Fourteenth century works of art from the Aretina and Senese schools, such as the ‘Storie di Margherita da Cortona’ a panel painting attributed to an Aretino painter and which may have been used for Santa Margherita’s first sepulchre.
Room 3: This room used to be the Church of Jesus and visitors should take time to admire the ceiling which was decorated in 1536 by Michelangelo Leggi. Works of art from the fifteenth century are on display here such as the ‘Madonna with Child’ from the Sienese school that dates from the first half of the fifteenth century. This particular work of art comes from the first Church of Santa Margherita.
Room 4: This room houses works by Signorelli and his school of painters. Luca Signorelli was born in Cortona (1455 – 1523) and is one of the most significant Renaissance painters. His nudes were ahead of Michelangelo’s and his landscapes re-echo Perugino’s compositions.
Room 5: The Via Crucis by the local painter, Gino Serverini (1883 – 1966)
Room 6: The walls of this room were frescoed by Cristoforo Gherardi of the Vasari school and show the twelve biblical sacrifices.
Room 7: There is the ‘Calice Casali’, a wonderful piece of Senese gold work from the fourteenth century by Michele di Tommè which comes from the old church of Santa Margherita.
Room 8: There is the ‘Parato Passerini’ which was part of the Pope’s ceremonial outfit and is made up of thirteen brocaded pieces. A local cardinal, Silvio Passerini, ordered it from a Florentine manufacturer between 1517 and 1526.
Room 9: There are several important paintings hanging here including the sixteenth century ‘Immacolatà’ and the ‘Estasi di Santa Margherita’ painted in 1701 by Giuseppe Maria Crespi (1665 – 1747).

Opening hours:
1st April – 31st October from 10am to 7pm (closed on Mondays in October)
1st November – 31st March from 10am to 5pm (closed on Mondays)

Entrance fee:
€ 5.00
€ 3.00 for groups over 15 people and children aged between 6 – 12
€ 1.00 student ticket

Guided tours:
Guided tours are offered by Aion Cultura. Visitors are kindly asked to call and book guided tours ahead of time.

Educational museum:
Aion Cultura also run an education section of the museum that allows students to study the history of art.
For further information and bookings 0575 637235 /
The foundations of the city have been lost in legend
As far as the Florentine ruling class was concerned: to increase the value of the vast territorial consistency of Tuscany, like ancient Etruria, as well as the antiquity of all of its most famous cities since primordial civilisations immediately after the Great Flood, with the aim of obtaining for that territory and for those cities the recognition of Grand Duchy and the title of Grand Duke ...