The Museum of Deportation is a place of remembrance, dedicated to the memory of what happened in the Nazi concentration camps. It was inaugurated in 2002 in the hamlet of Figline (Prato), where on 6 September 1944, 29 partisans were hung by a retreating Wehrmacht unit. The museum owes its existence to some local survivors, all member of ANED (National Association of Former Deportees) and their untiring testimony, and to Prato's municipal authorities. Together, they created an institution that promotes the cultural and civic education of its young citizens.
The starting point is the experiences of Tuscan factory workers arrested by Nazi-Fascists after a general strike in March 1944 and deported to the concentration camp of Mauhausen in Austria and its sub-camps of Ebensee, Gusen and Melk. The museum looks also at the story of millions of men and women, caught in roundups all over Europe, deported for racial or political reasons, according to the plan for the enslavement and annihilation of entire peoples set in motion during World War II by the Third Reich.
The visit to the museum has been conceived as a symbolic trip through a Nazi concentration camp. On display are original objects that come from the camps and from the factories in the galleries that the prisoners themselves excavated in the mountains near Ebensee. The visit also includes written and oral testimonies and several documentaries on deportation.