Located in the municipality of Castagneto Carducci, this famous avenue of cypress trees is a 5-kilometre stretch of road that connects the oratory of San Guido to the historical village of Bolgheri. It is a long linear road flanked by two rows of 2,540 centuries-old cypress trees. It was built in the 18th century, when officials created perpendicular roads along the Via Regio to connect the smaller towns in the surrounding countryside to Bolgheri. One of these roads was that of San Guido. Upon the wishes of Count Guido Alberti, this road was embellished with cypresses.
The road owes its fame to the memorable verses of Giosuè Carducci in the poem, Davanti San Guido (“In front of San Guido”). The poet lived in the vicinity for many years. Here are a few lines from that famous poem: “In Bolgheri, tall and proud are they in San Guido in two rows”.
At the beginning of the long road there is a small obelisk, placed there in 1908 by Giuseppe della Gherardesca to commemorate the famed poet.