Convento sul MOnte Argentario
Places of worship

The Convento of the Padri Passionisti

In 1721 Paolo Danei della Croce, founder of the convent, stopped at Porto Ercole and was so taken by its beauty and profound tranquility that he decided he wanted to establish a religious retreat there

Monte Argentario Grosseto
The religious congregation of the Padri Passionisti has extended its activity across every continent during its 250 year existence. In 1721 the founder, Paolo Danei della Croce stopped at Porto Ercole and was so taken by its beauty and profound tranquility that he decided he wanted to establish a religious retreat there. The Bishop of Pitigliano conceded the use of the Hermitage of Sant’Antonio to Paolo’s brotherhood. They remained from 1728 to 1737 when their number became too great for the space and their founder decided to build the convent.

The painting in the first chapel on the right is dated and signed by Pietro Aldi from Manciano. It depicts the Madonna showing San Paolo della Croce the spot on which to build the convent. There is a painting of the Penitent Mary Magdalene above the altar. The painting of the Madonna and Child with the Sacred Heart and St. Joseph, popularly known as the “Madonna of Monte Argentario” is in the choir. Noteworthy are two small paintings of the Roman school from the second half of the 18th century. The first is of the Archangel St. Michael and the other of St. Joseph with Child.

Phone 0564 814208
E-mail infoargentario@lamaremma.info
Porto Santo Stefano

Source: www.lamaremmafabene.it
More attractions in  Porto Santo Stefanokeyboard_backspace
Porto Santo Stefano
Natural beauty makes Maremma a top spot
Argentario’s high, rocky landscape hosts magnificent small beaches. The area’s tourist towns - Porto Santo Stefano, Porto Ercole and Capalbio - are among the most fashionable beach destinations. The region’s economy, which once was entirely based on fishing, now depends on tourism. ...
Morekeyboard_backspace