La chiesa del Conservatorio di Santa Marta
location_cityArchitecture

The Church of the Conservatory of St. Mary

The church re-opened for worship on 29 July 2002

Via del Falcone, 30

The present conservatory is an adaptation of a pre-existing monastery built between 1592 and 1598 on the initiative of Simone di Sebastiano Gamuccini, a well-to-do Montopoli-born merchant. The church was built by in accordance with the will of Gamuccini's spouse, who asked the painter Ludovico Cardi, known as Cigoli, to execute the Resurrection of Lazarus for the high altar. Inside the church there is a painting depicting the Madonna with the Souls in Purgatory, attributed to Santi di Tito, a Madonna and Child with Saints by Michele Laschi, and a 14th-century Madonna with Child on wood panel.


Source: Pisa APT

 

Montopoli in Val d'Arno
A stupendous medieval village that conserves the remains of its walls and fortifications
Montopoli rises on the back of a hillock of tufo near to the Arno river and was one of the most important castles of the lower Valdarno, remembered by Boccaccio as the “Eminent Castle” for its powerful fortifications. Still today the oldest part of Montopoli conserves the aspect of the typical medieval settlement. ...
Morekeyboard_backspace