The church of Santa Maria di Stazzema was first mentioned in historical documents in the IX century. It lies at the beginning of the village of Stazzema, in a dominant position above the valley of the Vezza river. The church was enlarged several times as its importance grew within local communities during the Middle Ages. Several of its elements are noteworthy including the sculpted ornaments decorating the façade, its large central rose window and several capitals of the inner colonnade.
Nothing remains of the Early Medieval building. This church, that depended on the parish church of Valdicastello, was most likely rebuilt with a single aisle and semicircular apse at the beginning of the XII century when the village of Stazzema grew due to the exploitation of a number of mines in the area. Traces of its original decorations can only be seen on the façade, particularly on the portal and the central rose window. During the XV century, two aisles were added to the church and two new entrances were opened. The side walls were pulled down and replaced by two rows of columns. In this period, precisely in 1499, a door connecting the presbytery and sacristy was opened. In 1601, an arcade was created along the façade, the apse was also completely rebuilt in a rectangular form and the large windows on the southern side were opened. Finally, the bell tower as it appears today was rebuilt between 1740 and 1749; at that time, two new windows in the apse were also opened.