The church of San Leonardo in Treponzio, first mentioned in 1115, is located midway between the hamlet of Compito and the small town of Capannori. It was built at the beginning of the XII century. The rich, original decorations on the building’s façade are particularly interesting; they are generally attributed to the school of Guidetto. The church of San Leonardo in Treponzio is situated along an important road which has been well-known since Roman times. The homonymous hospital, founded in 1105, was probably hosted in the courtyard on the north side of the church.
The church was rebuilt in modern times and its original Latin-cross structure was maintained. The structure dates back to the beginning of the XII century, with a single nave and a semicircular apse. Different building techniques were employed on the eastern and western parts of the building, thanks to the work of successive groups of masons during the construction. Toady, nothing remains of the original bell tower; it was completely rebuilt in 1894 on the south-eastern corner of the church—possibly in the same spot as the original.