Cetamura
location_cityArchitecture

the Castle of Cetamura

The medieval town in Castelnuovo Berardenga

Castelnuovo Berardenga
The medieval fortified city of Cetamura became an Etruscan settlement in VI B.C., nonetheless, it is first cited in a document that dates back to 1071. By 1140, it had its own castle while its first primitive communal organization was founded between 1173 and 1174. Around the mid XIII century, it became a Cartesian commune, governing Siena’s surrounding countryside. The town was one of the Berardenga family’s vicarage communities in the XIV century. Due to its strategic position along the frontier, the castle played a relevant defensive role until the middle of the XVI century. Only a few traces of the castle remain within the rural complex. Ruins of the portal which once graced the settlement’s entrance proves the structure’s most significant example of medieval architecture.


 
Castelnuovo Berardenga
The vast territory is close to the evocative Crete Senesi
Castelnuovo Berardenga is at an altitude of 351m and has a population of approximately 7000 inhabitants. The town takes its name from Count Berardo, a descendant of the Count of Siena Guinigi who governed over the city during the second half of the IX century. His family moved to the country when they lost control of Siena. ...
Morekeyboard_backspace