The origin of Montalto is uncertain: it probably stands on the site of an ancient Etruscan settlement. The original castle centre was built by Berardenghi family, descendent of Winigis who was a vassal of Charles the Great. Since the 9th century there was a castle, even if it was first documented in 1004. It was a frontier rampart between the Sienese and Florentine territories and it was always faithful to Siena during the century-old contest. Montalto was destroyed and re-built more than once: the Montalto Battle in 1208 caused great damages. The Berardenghi family owned the castle until the 15th century, when its strategic relevance was reduced. In the 15th century Montalto was included in the possessions of the Sienese Republic and in 1456 it was given to Giovanni Palmieri, whose family kept control of the place until 1572. Then it was given to the Florentine Government. The frescoes in the Military Hall date to 1500. Its current aspect is due to Antonio Palmieri who re-built it at the end of the 19th century.
The vast territory is close to the evocative Crete Senesi
Castelnuovo Berardenga is at an altitude of 351m and has a population of approximately 7000 inhabitants. The town takes its name from Count Berardo, a descendant of the Count of Siena Guinigi who governed over the city during the second half of the IX century. His family moved to the country when they lost control of Siena. ...Morekeyboard_backspace
You might also be interested in