Boasting beautiful views, this castle dates to circa 1000 CE and the surrounding village was an ancient Roman settlement before being taken over by the Byzantines, Longobards and Franks who all valued this site for its strategic defensive position.
The Pisans enlarged the castrum in 1322 but when Castruccio Castracani became the Imperial deputy in the Lunigiana and Garfagnana area the castle lost importance. In 1329 the castle passed to Spinetta Malaspina who reinforced its defences. It fell briefly into Florentine and Genovese hands before, in 1385, it was taken by the Visconti of Milan where it stayed until it was recaptured by the Campo Fregoso family of Genova in 1437. In the 18th century the castle and village were gradually abandoned, with locals moving to Carrara and Fossola. The nearby hills hold two bunkers constructed by German troops as they were creating the Gothic Line.
How to get there:
Take the Carrara exit off the A15 Genova-Livorno. Head up Viale XX Settembre to the suburb of Fossola then take Via Moneta from behind the Parrocchiale dell'Arcipretura di San Giovanni Battista. Pass “Il Ciocco” and after about 1km of steep curves you arrive at the castle.
Ph: +39 0585 44774
Fax: +39 0585 44774