Museo diocesano del capitolo
account_balanceMuseums

The Capitolo Diocesan Museum

A collection of sacred art from the diocese of Cortona

Cortona
This museum is partly housed in the sixteenth century home of the Gesù Confraternity which is made up of two churches. In the eighteenth century, the upper church became the baptistery of the cathedral. The ceiling of the lower church was decorated in1555 by Cristofano Gherardi, a pupil of Vasari. The works of art on display come from various churches in the diocese of Cortona. The collection particularly celebrates a local maestro, Luca Signorelli. There are two signed paintings by him in the museum and numerous other works produced by him and his workshop.

A permanent exhibition of works by Signorelli was first opened in 1923. In 1945 this exhibition grew with the addition of a collection of liturgical artefacts from the churches and cathedrals around the diocese. The museum includes: a Crucifix and a panel painting of the ‘Madonna with Child’ by Pietro Lorenzetti, the ‘Annunciation’ and a polyptych of the ‘Madonna with the Saints’ by Beato Angelico, a Sassetta polyptych, the ‘Assumption’ by Bartolomeo della Gatta, the ‘Compianto sul Cristo morto’, the ‘Communion of the Apostles’ by Luca Signorelli and the ‘Ecstasy of Saint Margaret of Cortona’ by G.M. Crespi (1701). Among the many sculptures on display, there is a Roman sarcophagus which depicts the Lotta della Amazzoni.

There is also an interesting goldsmith section, including the fifteenth century Vagnucci reliquary, a masterpiece by Giusto da Firenze. Visitors can also admire a section dedicated to fabrics, such as the Parato Passerini, which consists of a frontal, dalmatic, cope, two stoles and three maniples. This Parato Passerini was made in Florence between 1517 and 1526 for Cardinal Silvio Passerini from Cortona. The embroidery is based on drawings by Andrea del Sarto, Raffaellino del Garbo and Cosimo Feltrini.

Opening hours

April 1 – October 31: 10am-7pm (closed on Mondays in October)
November 1 – March 31: 10am-5pm (closed on Mondays)

Entry fee
€5,00
€3,00 per person for groups
€1,00 per person for schools

Disabled access

In part

Contact information
piazza del Duomo 1
Cortona (Arezzo)
Telephone 0575-62830;
0575-603256 (director);
0575 601410 (director of cultural services)

 
Cortona
The foundations of the city have been lost in legend
As far as the Florentine ruling class was concerned: to increase the value of the vast territorial consistency of Tuscany, like ancient Etruria, as well as the antiquity of all of its most famous cities since primordial civilisations immediately after the Great Flood, with the aim of obtaining for that territory and for those cities the recognition of Grand Duchy and the title of Grand Duke ...
Morekeyboard_backspace