Callone di Valiano
location_cityArchitecture

The Callone of Valiano

The construction of Callone di Valiano, also known as the Valiano Sluice gate, was agreed to in 1718 at Città della Pieve by the Pontiff Clemente XI and Cosimo III, the Grand Duke of Tuscany

Chiusi
Senator Giuseppe Ginori, representing the Grand Duke of Tuscany, ordered the construction of the Callone of Valiano. It was designed by the engineer Giovanni Franchi. Construction was concluded in 1723.

It was built to regulate the water levels of the Montepulciano and Chiusi Lakes with an outlet for the Chiana Master Canal. It was also designed to make these waters navigable. Boat transit historically represented the primary mode of transportation for agricultural products sold at markets in Arezzo and Florence.

The Callone of Valiano was located beside the banks of the Salarco torrent, near the hills of the Papal State. It housed a hand-built regulator and is encompassed by two lateral embankments on the left and right sides. The regulator was composed of two intermediate spaces and has a section designed for mobile tables, which is placed horizontally. While the building of the right regulator was modest and developed on a single level, the left was created on three levels. On the ground floor there were three openings: the Callone, the Calletta di Mezzo and the Calletta Esterna.

The first two were given two sluice gates each for boat transit, while the third was planned to be a single sluice gate. A large part of the second floor was used to maneuver the sluice gates. The rest of the second floor and the third floor were designed to be the houses of the operators. Once construction was completed, a small masonry bridge was built. The Callone ceased functioning as a regulator in 1944 when it was destroyed in battle.


Cover image credit: Walter Giannetti

Chiusi
Rises on a hill on the southern confine of the Valdichiana
The city of Chiusi gets its name from the Latin “Clusium” which is an adaptation of the Etruscan name “Clevsin”, dating back to the era of its foundation thanks to the Etruscan civilisation. Between the VII and V centuries BC Chiusi reached its maximum splendour under the domination of King Porsenna and in 351 BC, occupied by the Romans, it became an important Roman military station taking on ...
Morekeyboard_backspace