Aulla in Lunigiana
account_balanceMuseums

The Abbey of San Caprasio

An archeological site and exhibition space, a collection of archeological artifacts from the early 12th century

Aulla
The section of the archeological digs in the area have been integrated into the museum, which is located in the 12th century church of the abbey. More precisely, the museum is located in part in the building of the abbey, which was not damaged in the 1944 bombings. The cloister in the courtyard was recently restored and features a cistern that dates back to the 6th century. The museum was inaugurated in 2003 following the termination of the archeological digs and the abbey’s restoration. The abbey was built in approximately 884 AD.

In conjunction with the Natural History Museum, the Abbey of San Caprasio aims to illustrate the anthropomorphic changes that occurred before, during and after the intersection of the Magra and Aulella Rivers. This facilitated the discovery of archeological artifacts found in the area that testify to the presence of prehistoric human settlements. The museum also illustrates the evolution of Christianity until the destruction of Aulla in the WWII bombings in 1944.


Contacts:
piazza Abbazia
AULLA (MASSA CARRARA)
Tel. 0187420148; 0187400221
E-mail:cultura@comune.aulla.ms.it, museo@sancaprasio.it
www.sancaprasio.it
Aulla
One of the most important centers of the area
Upon its conception, Aulla was a small city, built to defend the bridges and roads leading into the region of Lucca, Liguria and to the Cisa Pass: there were the years of the fame and success of the Via Francigena, a route used for trade and pilgrimage. ...
Morekeyboard_backspace