fb track

Museum of the Contrada of the Oca (Duck)

The Oratory of Santa Caterina displays the winning Palio banners

Map for 43.31979,11.329075

The Museum of the Contrada of the Oca is situated in the headquarters of the ancient warehouse belonging to the father of Saint Catherine, converted into an oratory in the second half of the 15th century.

Inside you find the wooden sculpture portraying the saint, the work of Neroccio di Bartolomeo (1474), and a fresco cycle of remarkable interest, depicting the Stories of Saint Catherine, executed by some of the most important Sienese artists of the 16th and 17th century: Il Sodoma, Girolamo del Pacchia, Vincenzo Tamagni, Giacomo Pacchiarotti, Ventura Salimbeni and Sebastiano Folli.

Within the rooms of significant historical and architectural interest, the museum conserves the winning Palio banners, frames, pictures and relics related to life in the contrada and the Palio.

Info: contradadelloca.it

Where not a single stone has changed down the centuries
Siena shines perfectly from a distance in its medieval magnificence. The three hills amid which the city rests rise up like an idyllic film set, the old boundaries soften like the past into a countryside that sometimes still seem like the scene painted by Ambrosia Lorenzetti in the Allegory of Good Government in the halls of Siena's city hall. ...