Siena, il Palio
account_balanceMuseums

Siena, The Museum of the Contrada della Selva

The museum’s collection includes numerous painted prize banners and sacred frescoes

Siena

The museum is located in the crypt of the Church of Saint Sebastian in Vallepiatta, built by the Weavers’ Guild at the end of the 15th century, and it was donated to the contrada in 1810.The museum traces the history of the contrada and displays the prize banners it has won over the years. The neighbourhood church is also part of the visit, with frescoes by Sienese artists executed between the 16th and 17th centuries, as well as a collection of paintings, sculptures and religious ornaments. The prize banners include one painted by Mino Maccari (1970) and one by Ugo Altardi (1974). The other works of art include pieces by Francesco di Giorgio, Benvenuto di Giovanni, Rutilio Manetti and Raffaello Vanni.


Contacts:
Piazzetta della Selva 5
SIENA (SIENA)
Ph: +39 0577 45093
Email: contradadellaselva@interfree.it
http://www.contradadellaselva.it/

 

Siena
Where not a single stone has changed down the centuries
Siena shines perfectly from a distance in its medieval magnificence. The three hills amid which the city rests rise up like an idyllic film set, the old boundaries soften like the past into a countryside that sometimes still seem like the scene painted by Ambrosia Lorenzetti in the Allegory of Good Government in the halls of Siena's city hall. ...
Morekeyboard_backspace