The first mention of the town of Selvole dates back to 1070, although the town's castle is thought to date back to 1127 and 1158. Selvole was home to a local noble family, the Lambardi, whose representatives became part of the dominant class in the Siena Council in the first half of the twelfth century. In 1230, the town and castle were destroyed by the Florentines and in 1262, the council established that all local taxes should be used to reconstruct the castle. The castle had changed hands by 1317-18 and belonged to the Malavolti family, who owned it until the 1960's. The church San Martino was praised by the mayor of Poggibonsi in 1203. The religious patronage of the Malavolti family is documented up until the fourteenth century. For a certain period, the church was united with Cerreto, until it again became part of the parsonage of Asciata. The plastered interior is home to several Malavolti family tombs and the back wall is painted with a fresco that presents a scene from the life of Saint Martino, dated 1891.
The vast territory is close to the evocative Crete Senesi
Castelnuovo Berardenga is at an altitude of 351m and has a population of approximately 7000 inhabitants. The town takes its name from Count Berardo, a descendant of the Count of Siena Guinigi who governed over the city during the second half of the IX century. His family moved to the country when they lost control of Siena. ...Morekeyboard_backspace