The fortress complex was built by Florentines during the early part of the 14th century in an effort to control the city of Pistoia. After being abandoned for a period, it was reconstructed in the 16th century by G.B. Bellucci and Bernardo Buontalenti. The Santa Barbara chapel inside the fortress was built in 1580 on request of the Pistoia bombers.
Hours: Tuesdays-Sundays 8.15-13,30; closed Mondays
Handicap access: Partial, excluding the walkway
viale Arcadia/Piazza d'Armi
Tel. 0573 24212