location_cityArchitecture

Ponte della Madonna (St Mary’s Bridge)

The ‘Ponte della Madonna’ (St. Mary´s Bridge) spans the Turrite stream just outside the town centre of Castelnuovo Garfagnana, in the ‘alla Barchetta’ district

Castelnuovo di Garfagnana

It is a sandstone footbridge with two round arches and a V-shaped cutwater placed around the central pier.

According to tradition and to the ‘Descrizione Geografica, Storica, Economica della Garfagnana’ (Geographic, Historic and Economic Description of Garfagnana) by Raffaello Raffaelli, the bridge was build by Borso d´Este in 1453. It was blown up by the Germans in their retreat in 1945 and then re-constructed in the post-war period.

Source: Lucca and its lands

Castelnuovo di Garfagnana
In the heart of Garfagnana, rich in natural and historical beauty
Castelnuovo is the main centre of Garfagnana, positioned at the merging of the river Serchio with the Turrite Secca, a typical mountain torrent coming down from the Apuans. The town is the commercial and administrative centre of the valley, seat of the 'Comunità Montana' which unites 16 communes, and many other public offices. ...
Morekeyboard_backspace