The modern-day Politeama Pratese was created thanks to efforts by Bruno Banchini, an athlete from Prato, a champion of ‘pallone elastico’ a type of foot volley.
The building was initially opened to the public as a cinematographic area called Kursaal. Later, it became an amusement park called Mikado. In 1914, the theater itself was created.
Designed to host nearly 3,000 people, the plan was created by architect Paolo Emilio Andrè. In 1925, the plan was completed by architect PierLuigi Nervi who added its bold cement cover. After a period of abandonment, the Politeama Theater was renovated and reopened to the public on January 2, 1999 with the opera ‘Tosca’ which had been performed during its initial inauguration in 1925.