The first document making reference to this ecclesiastical edifice is dated 1075, when it was dedicated to San Genziano in Caminino. In the second half of the 13th century, the church was dedicated instead to another saint (as per documents from that era), called San Feriolo. At the beginning of the century that followed, the rural church was placed under the management of the castellan church in Montemassi. This was the beginning of a long period in which the church would eventually fall to abandon. The Caminino property is located on the plain east of Montemassi. It is precisely situated on a heterogeneous rock formation with surfacing trachite that shows traces of detrital ground water sediment, alluvium, and Roccastrada formations to the south, and lime rock to the north.
(Article by Comunità Montana Colline Metallifere)