Via Ripa del Sale, 3, 51100 Pistoia PT, Italia
The Palazzo Rospigliosi Diocesan Museum is located in Pistoia inside the noble palace that stands next to the first circle of walls, purchased by the Rospigliosi family in the 16th century. The last descendant left it as a legacy to the Curia, along with the paintings and furnishings it contained.
The museum now preserves liturgical furnishings and other religious works. In 1990, the collection was transferred to eight rooms in Palazzo Rospigliosi, alongside the donation by Clemente Rospigliosi which includes, in addition to various pieces of furniture, 48 paintings from the 17th century (for the most part), exhibited in four rooms covering an area of 217 square meters.
The works on display in the museum come from churches throughout the diocese. Those in the museum are constituted by the sumptuous 17th-century furnishings that were installed (although there are some doubts about this) to house the pope, Giulio Rospigliosi (1660 -1669), who was passing through the city.