Prior to Florentine rule, the palace was named Palazzo Vecchio. It was built in the 13th century upon a pre-existing edifice dating from the 11th century. In the 14th century it belonged to the D'Appiano family, who were, at the time, princes of Pisa; in 1446 it passed to the Medici under Piero Cosimo the Elder. Lorenzo the Magnificent stayed here on several occasions together with his friend Poliziano. Charles VIII also was staying here when Pisa rebelled against Florence in 1494. The stone façade overlooking the Arno is pierced by a simple access door on the left side, and by mullioned windows on the first and second floors.
Source: Pisa APT