Until the end of the feudal age, the Jewish community found refuge in the city of Pitigliano, living in the southern section of the town along Via Zuccarelli, where the ghetto was located in the 1400s. The shops, artisan workshops and public buildings were grouped together at the centre of the street occupying significant spaces right up to the edge of the tufa cliff. The museum is located in the building which served as the first synagogue and school of the Jewish settlement. In 1598 the present-day synagogue was built on the same site. It was damaged in a landslide in the 1960s and restored in 1995. The museum’s collection includes a number of religious items and is the first stop on a tour of the museum, synagogue and the old ghetto, including the ritual baths, the kosher butcher and baker, the cellars and the dyeworks.
December-February: 10am-12:30pm and 3pm-5:30pm
March-May: 10am-12:30pm and 3pm-6pm
June-September: 10am-12:30pm and 3:30pm-6:30pm
October-November: 10am-12:30pm and 3pm-6pm
Closed on Saturdays and Jewish holidays.
€3.00 / €2.00 reduced price ticekt for people over 65, groups of 20 or more, university students and members of the Touring Club Italiano.
€1.00 for guided tours.
The museum is not accessible to wheelchair users.
Ph: +39 0564 614230