This museum unites three experiences in a single space: an art museum, an archeology museum, and the Collegiate Church, or Collegiata, which is next door and includes masterpieces of the 14th century sculptor Marco Romano (the Porrina sepulchre), the funerary monument of Bishop Tommaso Andrei by Gano di Fazio; and three paintings by Rutilio Manetti. The first floor of the museum, inaugurated in 1996, is dedicated to archeology. Three rooms exhibit, among other things, two urns in tufa from the Bargagli Collection and an enormous kantharos in black lacquer from Querceto. The Art Museum is composed of five rooms which include such masterpieces as a Maestà commissioned by Beltramo and Ranieri Aringhieri; a bust of the bishop Tommaso Andrei by the Sienese artist Gano di Fazio (ca. 1303); an illuminated gradual by Lippo di Vanni; an altarpiece by Andrea di Niccolò; and a few paintings by the local painter Alessandro Casolani, a member of the artistic bourgeoning of Siena in the 1500s.
Source: Province of Siena