The Civic Gallery in Castiglion Fiorentino is found in the monumental complex of Cassero, occupying in particular the church hall of Sant'Angelo al Cassero - a building with medieval foundations - the adjacent sacristy and the monks' choir on the top floor. You can enjoy a beautiful view over the Valdichiana from the loggia of the museum, built into the old clocktower.
Though the collection is of small size, the quality of its exhibits make it of great interest. For the most part, it comprises sacred artworks from the churches and monasteries of Castiglion Fiorentino and the surrounding territory.
The paintings that stand out are the Cross with Christ Triumphant by an unknown artist from 13th-century Arezzo, Saint Francis by Margarito d'Arezzo (mid-1200s), Madonna with Child by Taddeo Gaddi (c.1325), and also the two panels The Marriage of Saint Catherine by Giovanni di Paolo (1457) and Bartolomeo della Gatta's Saint Michael the Archangel and the Stigmata of Saint Francis (c.1485).
The most notable pieces of goldwork include the 12th or 13th-century cross-shaped reliquary from the Meuse Valley of Belgium; a French Holy Cross from the 13th century and the reliquary bust of Saint Ursula, made in the Rhineland in the third decade of the 14th century.