L'Osteria dei pellegrini a Monsummano Terme
location_cityArchitecture

Montalbano, Monsummano Terme, historical buildings

Enjoy the many historical villas here

Monsummano Terme
Villa Martini
This Villa was built around 1887 by the architect Vivarelli for the statesman, literary man and journalist, Ferdinando Martini. It was designed in accordance with the eclectic style typical of the end of the century. It appears as an elegant square block, constructed on two floors, surrounded by a vast park linked by five staircases. Inside, there are elegant rooms with coffered ceilings decorated with round carvings in polychromatic ceramics. The surrounding park contains many examples of very rare ornamental plants and species such as camphor trees and cedars of Atlas. The villa was bought by the local authority in 1981 and, after a careful restoration work, was opened by the President of the Senate Giovanni Spadolini. The Villa is now open to the public as a cultural centre and modern art gallery.

The Pilgrims Inn
The Pilgrim’s Inn was commissioned by Grand Duke Ferdinand in order to receive the pilgrims who went to the Sanctuary of the Fontenuova. The Osteria dei Pellegrini (the Pilgrims Inn) was based on a design by the architect Gherardo Mechini. The pilgrims stayed in the building before it was even completed: in fact we know that from 1st september 1609, Meo di Pazzaglini from Pieve a Nievole had the contract to build it, but next year it was necessary to consolidate the foundations of the building which was visited in the same year by the Grand Duchess, Cristina of Lorena. The building work continued until 1616. The Osteria building was exclusively for pilgrims until 1775, when it also became the centre of the ‘Comunità delle Due Terre’. This institute was promoted by the Grand Duke and brought together the Municipal Administration of Monsummano and Montevettolini. However, the building remained property of the Sanctuary of the Fontenuova and, even if some modifications were inevitably made, the most significant alterations to the building weren’t done until the XIX century. It was then that the Osteria slowly began to lose its original function and became a private structure containing the offices of the local administration. In 1833 it became the centre of judicial offices, transferred from Buggiano to Monsummano, and, in 1855 the building was acquired from the Community of Monsummano and Montevettolini for placing the prisons, in order to new law 1849.

Giuseppe Giusti's house
This house in Monsummano is where the poet Giuseppe Giusti was born in 1809 and spent the first years of childhood (in 1815 his family moved to Montecatini). The house was built between 1791 and 1793 by the poet's grandfather who was quite well-to-do and able to wield some political influence with Grand Duke Pietro Leopoldo's government. The house was built in the late-rococo style, moderated by the sobriety of traditional Tuscan architecture. The presence of the family coat of arms over the balcony in the center of the front shows the aim of build a house suitable to the family's social position and to the recently conferred title of rank. The inside wall decoration is inspired by the same criterion and the decoration of each room is specifically suited to its use: ideal landscapes are framed by a false portico in the entrance on the ground floor, mythological subjects and are in the vast living-rooms, sacred themes decorate the prayer room and landscapes fill the small sitting rooms and the antechambers. Acquired and restored by the State in 1972, Giusti's House is now open to the public as a museum.

Montevettolini Medicean villa
The medicean villa of Montevettolini is situated on the northern extremity of the hill not far from the S. Michele Arcangelo church, the parsonage and the public square. The villa was commissioned by Grand Duke Ferdinando I and its construction was supervised by Gherardo Mechini, who officially became ‘Architect of His Royal Highness’ in May of the same year. The villa was built between the end of the 16th century and the first twenty years of the 17th century. During the following years the building didn’t undergo any alteration and maintained its imposing, severe and fortress-like appearance. It was constructed incorporating some preexisting structures of the defensive system of the village. In fact the Rocca and one of the six towers of the city walls, the Cantone door tower, were annexed to the new construction. Most of these original structures were dismantled and part of the material was re-used to construct the new building. The Rocca and the tower were joined by a two-storey construction. The first floor is completely taken up by an immense hall of representation. The left side of the building, where the tower has been incorporated, is one floor higher because it is set on a small hill. On this side, right under the roof gutter there are small windows and openings similar to those found in jails. Along all the perimeter of the palace, on the top floor, there is a rather-regular succession of square windows with stone extensions and small loop-holes. The fortress-like look of the villa is emphasized by four ‘look out positions’.

Source: www.montalbano.toscana.it
Monsummano Terme
This jewel of the Tuscan region boasts everything from spas to handmade shoes
Situated between the last ramifications of Montalbano and the northern border of the "Padule di Fucecchio" (the Marsh of Fucecchio), Monsummano Terme is now famous as thermal resort and for the production of shoes, exported all over the world. ...
Morekeyboard_backspace