Hamlets, districts and squares
Situated on a hilly spur dominating the valleys of the rivers Sterza and Cecina, already in ancient times Querceto was a castle of great importance, so much so that it was able to furnish the commune of Volterra with 600 armed men. Today the village is still object of much interest, both for the ancient castle, renovated in the early twentieth century by the counts Ginori and restored to its original conditions, and for the old houses and the church built in honour of St. John the Baptist.
Montecatini Val di Cecina
From the medieval centre to ancient mines, an unsual corner of Tuscany
Before the 11th century, the village of Montecatini Val di Cecina was known by the name Monte Leone (Castrum Montis Leonis); this is how it appeared in a bull by Pietro, Bishop of Volterra in 1099. Over the centuries, the territory was a point of conflict between Pisa and Volterra, and was finally brought under Florence’s control in 1472. ...Morekeyboard_backspace
You might also be interested in