The Horne Museum in Florence is found in via de’ Benci, in a small square that was rebuilt at the end of the 15th century by Simone del Pollaiolo, aka La Cronaca, following the transfer of its ownership from the Alberti family to the Corsi family. In 1911, it was bought by the art historian Herbert Percy Horne, who restored it and filled it with objects which mostly dated to between the 14th century and the 16th century.
The gallery was created by the bequest of Horne, an English collector and scholar, who came to Florence at the end of the 19th century.
Horne collected paintings, sculptures, ceramics, jewellery, furniture, plates, seals and fabrics from the antique markets. The rooms were furnished after his death, following the instructions left by Horne, becoming a Renaissance example of a noble home.
The museum is home to some masterpieces such as Giotto’s St. Stephan, a Madonna and Child by Simone Martini, a depiction of Christ by Filippo Lippi, Beccafumi’s Holy Family and a triptych by Pietro Lorenzetti.