Neighbourhoods, streets and squares
Corso Carducci is a the perfect place for shopping, or an afternoon stroll. The street connects piazza Dante and Porta Nuova and follows the same route as the ancient via Aurelia which went through the heart of the old town. The buildings which line Corso Carducci were rebuilt at the end of the nineteenth century when the road was widened to underline the street’s importance in the town.
Corso Carducci is proud to be home of the oldest building in the city: the church of San Pietro. The first written evidence of a church on this site goes back to 1118, although the building has undergone many alternations and renovation work since then.
The external walls of the church are made of stone with occasional travertine blocks. On the right of the apse there is a seventeenth century bell tower which still has its original Medieval stone base. There are four bas-reliefs on the façade of the church with Late Romanesque and Gothic decorations of unknown origin depicting San Leonardo (the patron saint of prisoners), plants and animals. The church has a single nave and a bare interior.
When taking a stroll along Corso Carducci, it’s impossible not to notice the elegant Liberty style buildings that line the street, such as palazzo Pallini and palazzo Tognetti. Palazzo Tognetti was built in 1910 and has numerous artificial floral decorations all over its façade. The contrast between the grey stone of the walls and the light coloured stucco make this a truly unusual building to see.
There are also many Neo-Classical buildings along Corso Carducci, such as palazzo Ariosti. The facade of this building has two pairs of pilasters which rise up to the roof. Today, this building is home to the offices of the holy see of the Grosseto Diocese.
The building which used to be the palazzo of the Banca d’Italia (restored at the start of the twentieth century) also has a typically Neo-Classical look. In addition, this building has an added Liberty style decoration of a shell in the centre of the facade.
Finally, there is also palazzo del Genio Civile which was inaugurated in 1911. This building has a Classic facade with portals and arches on the piano nobile. There is a ceramic frieze that marks the level of the first floor which depicts the symbols of the Maremma. The second floor is marked with a frieze with a floral motif.
Strolling through the Maremma's main city
Grosseto is a beautiful city nearly on the edge of the Tuscan region. It is known as the political and cultural center of the Maremma – Tuscany’s wilder, coastal territory, often overlooked by tourists. It’s an ideal base for exploring the surrounding hilltops and sea sections, and has a family-friendly tranquility, as well as unexpected surprises. ...Morekeyboard_backspace