Piteglio e la vallata circostante
account_balanceMuseums

Diocese Museum of Sacred Art in Piteglio

Works from area churches commissioned by local families

Piteglio

The Diocese Museum of Sacred Art is located in the Pieve di Santa Maria Assunta in Popiglio and houses rare examples of Roman Baroque art. The Sacramento Chapel features sacred vestments and decorations from the mountain churches in the Pistoia area. The building that houses the Mascagni theatre also houses the educational center where visitors can participate in a variety of activities such as textile making.The museum was created to conserve and exhibit the sacred art that documents the area’s history and religious history. The picture gallery is part of the popular religion and sacred art itinerary of the Montagna Pistoiese EcoMuseum, a system that promotes the area’s cultural and environmental patrimony and documents the various aspects of the relationship between geography and the locals. The museum consists of three parts: the first is inside the Pieve di Santa Maria Assunta (13th century) and contains paintings, sculptures and silverworks from various artists working in the area during the centuries.

The second section, located in the Sacramento Chapel, contains sacred vestments from various local churches. The third section is primarily didactic and is located in the nearby building where the Mascagni theatre is also housed.Some of the most important works include one from the main altar done by a Pistoia artist during the first half of the fourteenth century; the statue of Saint Lucy by a Lucca sculptor; the Annunciation by Sebastiano Vini (1577); two marble bas-reliefs depicting angels which are a replica of the Francois Duquesnoy frieze in the Santi Apostoli church in Naples. The sacred decorations include numerous works done in Rome during the 17th and 18th century.
 

Hours: April, May, June, September and October Saturdays and Sundays from 16-19.
July and August: Tuesdays and Sundays 16-19, closed Mondays.
Price: 2,00 € with guided visit
Handicap access: Partial

Contact:
Piazza della chiesa
Popiglio
PITEGLIO (PISTOIA)
Tel. Provincia di Pistoia 0573-97461;
E-mail: ecomuseo@provincia.pistoia.it museodiocesano@diocesi.pistoia.it
http://www.provincia.pistoia.it/ecomuseo

Piteglio
The second-largest municipality in the Province of Pistoia
At a height of 698 meters above sea level, it has a population of about 1800 inhabitants. In Piteglio you can admire the church of St. Bartholomew in Lanciole and the church of San Miniato in Calamecca. Piteglio’s foundation dates back to a military garrison of the Liguri, built to answer the pressure of the Romans who established themselves in the area around the II century BC. ...
Morekeyboard_backspace