Places of worship
Castello Monte Antico, just a few kilometres from the province of Siena’s border, is one of the most evocative settlements in the territory of Civitella Marittima. Located on a hill overlooking the valley of the Ombrone River, it offers a suggestive panorama, providing Mount Amiata as a backdrop.
Since the 9th century, this town has had a fortress and an important parish church, which was managed by the Sienese nuns of Montecelso, before being claimed by the monks of San Lorenzo dell’Ardenghesca.
The castle was built during the 13th century. This was the dominion of important Sienese families such as the Buonsignori, the Salimbeni and the Tolomei. In 1438, Monte Antico came under the direct control of the Republic of Siena.
The settlement is surrounded by a ring of walls and it includes the noble palace, which has been renovated repeatedly over the centuries. Externally, it has an interesting facade with double lancet windows; on the lower part, you’ll find a series of arches and a gallery with an entry staircase. The interior contains interesting frescoes.
The small village, which is located within the walls, comprises various buildings, including the ancient stables and large rooms covered by cross vaults. After years of abandonment, the castle has now been converted into a hotel that also hosts cultural initiatives and conferences.
Once a toll thoroughfare, today it's a pretty corner of the Maremma
Civitella Marittima, the principal town of Civitella Paganico, stands on a hill covered in cypress and olive trees, and commands a view of the beautiful Maremma plain and the Tyrrhenian coastline. It was the seat of the Aldobrandeschi family, who left an important heritage of Romanesque architecture, such as the Badia of San Lorenzo on the Lanzo or Badia Ardenghesca. ...Morekeyboard_backspace