The Oratory of Santa Maria del Pontenovo was erected in 1230 and enlarged in the 14th century by the Gualandi family. Its current name, Santa Maria della Spina, is due to the fact that, for many centuries, it preserved a relic: a thorn (''spina'' in Italian) from Jesus' crown. The thorn is now conserved in the Church of Santa Chiara, adjoining the hospital of the same name. On the highest pinnacle stands a copy of the Madonna and Child by Andrea Pisano. The interior contains statues by Andrea and Nino Pisano.