The wooden and metallic catwalk is held by metal cables supported by piers. The traditional design of the piers, which echoes Roman (and Napoleonic) triumphal arches, and the advanced construction technique mark the style of the architect of the bridge, Lorenzo Nottolini (1787-1851).
The bridge was built under the patronage of Charles of Bourbon, after a flood of the Lima stream had destroyed the older bridge in 1836. The Duke of Lucca wanted the road to Bagni di Lucca, an exclusive thermal resort at the time, to be provided with an avant-garde building. With this aim, Nottolini was sent to England to become familiar with suspension bridges. The bridge structure, with a large belvedere opening onto the catwalk, was conceived not just as a means to cross the stream, but also as a gathering place for the town social life. The bridge construction was interrupted owing to bureaucratic issues, arising when the Duchy of Lucca was annexed to the Grand Duchy of Tuscany in 1847. In 1860, under the patronage of Bettino Ricasoli, the construction was accomplished following Nottolini´s project.
Restoration of the bridge was carried out in 2004. It was financed by the Province of Lucca with the contribution of the World Monument Foundation American Express.
Source: Lucca and its lands / www.luccapro.sns.it