Castell’in Villa is a collection of farmhouses, dominated by a three storey medieval rectangular tower. Not far from the village there is a little church, first mentioned in 1176. In late XIII and early XIV century tithe lists, this church is mentioned as being the parsonage of S. Cristoforo. In the middle of the XIII century, Castell’in Villa belonged to Siena, whereas in the XIV century it became part of the Berardenga vicarage communities. In a document from 1825 the tower is mentioned as “palace”. Visitors to the village should also pay a visit to the nearby Virgin Mary Chapel, consecrated in 1801.
The vast territory is close to the evocative Crete Senesi
Castelnuovo Berardenga is at an altitude of 351m and has a population of approximately 7000 inhabitants. The town takes its name from Count Berardo, a descendant of the Count of Siena Guinigi who governed over the city during the second half of the IX century. His family moved to the country when they lost control of Siena. ...Morekeyboard_backspace
You might also be interested in