The main identifying symbol of Radicofani is certainly its mighty fortress. It was in the hands of the Republic of Siena and was the last bulwark in the war against Florence. In the second half of the 1500s the Medici transformed it into an imposing fortification, but abandoned it after the powder magazine exploded in 1735 almost completely destroying the fortress. However it is best known for its ties to Ghino di Tacco (end of the 13th century-beginning of the 14th century), a gentleman brigand, who was remembered by Dante and Boccaccio.
The first written testimony about it dates back to 973 but is known that its early structure is from Carolingian era. Radicofani fortress, after the recent restoration which began in 1989, hosts a museum which traces the history of the castle and the archeological investigations. Photografies, plastics and virtual reconstructions help to testify the fortress history starting from the Etruscan civilization to the 16th century. The walls and walkways of the Fortress are also open to the public, as well as the terrace of the tower where you will enjoy a wonderful view which include Valdorcia, Monte Amiata, Val di Paglia and Monte Cetone.