Le mura e le torri di Bientina
Monuments

Bientina, its walls and towers

Defensive walls fortify the small town

Bientina
The walls around Bientina were created to make an impression thanks to their elevated position and their effectiveness as a defensive system due to the deep moat which surrounded them. There were four roads which lead up to this fortified village, more or less corresponding to the four cardinal points.

The western tower, at the corner of the present-day Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II, was known as the Paracintolo Tower. The wall followed from here in a south-east direction to the La Mora Tower after passing the breaks in the wall at the village streets (created to allow air to better circulate during the 1820 epidemic), and then continues to the pentagonal Giglio Tower which was raised over a large well.

The walls then continued along their path to another tower before turning back towards the Paracintolo Tower to close the circle of the walls. It is probable that other, intermediate towers existed in the past which we do not see today. 
Bientina
A small town with an ancient past which is home to an Etruscan Museum
The first written evidence there is of the town of Bietina (from the Latin "Bis antes", meaning "two hedges") dates back to the year 793. It was then that Saximondo di Gumberto conceded a portion of land to the bishop of Lucca. The town’s monuments include the Pievania Church of Santa Maria Assunta which was enlarged between 1627 and 1640. ...
Morekeyboard_backspace
You might also be interested in