Along the coast at Capalbio, on the shore of the Burano Lake, is the coastal tower of Buranaccio. This fortification was built in the 1500s and was a defensive outpost between the Granduchy of Tuscany and the Church.
Its stylistic elements are reminiscent of the Spanish fortress at Porto Santo Stefano, with three, square storeys on a base.
The beauty of the architecture is increased by the surrounding landscape. The Lake of Burano is a salt water lagoon on the coast which includes a WWF oasis and provides a bahitat to a number of different animals including numerous acquatic birds.
Where the line of sight stretches across the entire Maremma and flies as far as the sea
Capalbio is an alluring town in Southern Tuscany, which stands at the top of a hill covered with typical Maremman brush. The town developed around the Castle of the Three Fountains of Rome (8th century) and was owned by the Aldobrandeschi family in the Middle Ages. Later it became the property of the Conti Orsini and in 1416 was annexed to the Sienese Republic. ...Morekeyboard_backspace